When planning your summer vacation, keep in mind paying a visit to these historical spots celebrating their centennial anniversary in 2014.
1. Wrigley Field. Now home to the Chicago Cubs, the baseball park was originally called Weeghman Park and was home to the Chicago Federal League baseball team, the Chicago Whales, until 1920. It is the oldest National League ballpark and the second oldest active major league ballpark, the oldest being Fenway Park in Boston, which was built in 1912.
2. Pittock Mansion. Located in Portland, Oregon, Pittock Mansion was home to Henry and Georgiana Pittock and their children. Pittock left home at age 19 and followed the Oregon Trail to Portland. He owned a The Oregonian newspaper, founded the paper industry in the Northwest, developed land, operated a bank, and invested in multiple industries. The home was built in the French Renaissance style and boasts panoramic views of the city and surrounding mountains. It has 46 rooms and sits on a 46-acre estate.
3. Montclair Art Museum. Located in Montclair, New Jersey, the Montclair Art Museum has a distinctive collection of American and American Indian art. For their 100th anniversary, on view is a special exhibition called “100 Works for 100 Years: A Centennial Celebration” that features art identified with a special tag throughout the museum’s galleries and grounds. It is on view through November 2, 2014.
4. Lucknow. Also known as Castle in the Clouds, this estate is located in Moultonborough, New Hampshire. It was the country estate of Thomas Gustave Plant, who made his millions in the shoe manufacturing industry. Today it is owned by the Lakes Region Conservation Trust and managed by the Castle Preservation Society in close to its original state.
5. Beverly Hills. The City of Beverly Hills in California is known for its Rodeo Drive shopping, celebrity sightings and even it’s famous zip code- 90210. All year long, they are celebrating their centennial anniversary with a cookbook, a postage stamp, a fleece jacket, y youth art contest, a lawn bowling tournament and tons of events including a farmer’s market and a pet extravaganza, Woofstock 90210, this summer.